Sunday, July 26, 2009

OR trip

What we learned about our trip to OR:
It had way too much driving! We flew into Portland from SLC, then drove to his sisters in Salem, then drove a few more hrs to the coast. then drove a few more hours on windy roads down the coast, then drove a few more hours to see Byron's family down the coast some more, then back up the coast then back to the airport...BUT it sure was beautiful! Every 3 miles (literally) there was a state park to stop at and hike or explore.
Hitchhiking must be legal in the state becuz we saw a ton of hitchikers
Tons of bikers on 2 lane windy roads with sleeping bags on their backs
you can NOT pump your own gas...I pulled up to fill up with gas, got out and started to pump and a guy comes running over and says let me do that for you..."I can do it my self (too cheap to pay someone to do it), did I acidentaly pull thru full serve?" No he said its a law in OR, I thought he was joking, but he wasn't.
Summer is a great time of year to escape the Souths heat and head to OR where on the coast you have to wear pants a coat most days on the beach!
a 8.5hr (no lay over) flight is way too long to be trapped on a plane with 2 kids (Mikayla went to CA with gma and gpa for 2.5 weeks of fun) I did not find out till we got to our gate that we would not be able to recharge all electronical devices (ds/dvd player) nor stop for food! ahhhh! that was a slow torture oh and I had no book to read!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes...not having to pump your own gas, a beautiful thing! I didn't even know how to pump it myself until 4 years ago on our drive cross country when we were moving to Florida...Rick had to teach me in Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete